WSET Level 2 in Wine is a beginner/intermediate level course to explore wines, suitable for wine interested consumers interested in broadening their knowledge and/or building on WSET Level 1 in Wines, or as a foundation for working in the wine trade
This autumn we will offer two options to participate in our WSET Level 2 in Wine. Student can choose either to participate in our very successful digital version where students have both theory and tastings session live on Zoom, or alternatively new this autumn we will offer a combination of online theory sessions and course centre (classroom) tastings session.
- WSET L2 in Wine – LIVE! 100% Digital evening course with tasting tutorials on Zoom. Through a series of 8 live digital sessions on Zoom combining theory and tasting tutorials.. Tuesdays 18:00 – 20:30
- WSET L2 in Wine – LIVE! Combined course – digital theory and classroom tasting tutorials: Combines 8 digital theory sessions on Zoom AND 1 full-day of classroom tastings tutorials in Oslo. Theory sessions on Zoom on Tuesdays 18:00 – 19:30 hrs, tastings tutorials on a Saturday CLICK HERE TO VIEW THIS OPTION
Course 1: WSET L2 in Wine – LIVE! 100% Digital evening course with theory and tasting tutorials on Zoom
Course start: Tuesday 14 September. Runs over 8 evenings live on Zoom.
What you will learn:
Level 2 in Wine focuses on learning about the principal and regionally important grape varieties of the world, the regions where they are grown and the styles of wine produced. In addition, you will explore factors that impact wine styles and quality, and learn how to describe wines confidently using the Systematic Approach to Tasting® (SAT)
- How to taste and describe wine using the WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine (SAT)
- The principal grape varieties of the world. Style and quality of wines produced from regionally important black and white grape varieties
- How the local environment effects grape growing options in the vineyard, the winemaking process.
- How bottle aging effects the style and quality of wines made from the principle grape varieties
- Understand the most important labelling terms to indicate origin and regulation.
- How the various production methods of sparkling and fortified wines influences the style of the wine.
- The principles of food and wine pairing, wine storage and service
- Taste approx. 20 wines including Sparkling wines, white wines, red wines, dessert wines and fortified wines
How you will learn on the 100% Digital evening course:
- 8 live digital theory and tastings sessions on Zoom – 2.5 hours each session.
- A recommended tasting wine list of 20 wines. All wines can be purchased at Vinmonopolet and will be used during the digital tasting sessions.
- WSET L2 in Wine course book, WSET L2 in Wine workbook, Systematic Approach to Tasting (SAT) card, WSET L2 in Wine course specifications
- Small classroom size to ensure sufficient learning and one-to-one interaction
- Recordings of sessions will be available to students in case they are not able to attend one of the live sessions.
- Oslo Wine School digital resources and Kahoot! tests
Our internationally recognised Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Level 2 in Wine course combines interactive LIVE! tutorials, engaging discussions and professional wine tastings with our wine specialist Jane Nisbet Huseby.
This live digital course on Zoom allows you to participate in active discussions with your course educator and other students to maximise the learning opportunity and meet other wine-interested participants. Enrolling in this course makes it possible for you to study WSET from any location in Norway, avoiding travel or any other restrictions.
Practical Information about the 100% live digital WSET L2 in Wine course:
Students participate in 8 live sessions combining theory and tasting each week (2.5 hours). Upon enrolment, students receive the WSET L2 wine list. The list consists of 20 wines, all of which are available through Vinmonopolet, to an approx. value of 4,500 kr. We recommend that students form study groups with other students in their region to reduce the costs of the wines if possible. Many of our digital students have commented that purchasing the wines themselves gave them more time – often over several days, to become familiar with each individual wine and wine style.
Course Fee: 8.300 kr
Included in course fee:
- 8 sessions of WSET Level 3 in wine theory and practical tastings tuition on Zoom
- All course materials (WSET L3 in Wine course book (200 pages), WSET L3 in Wine workbook (150 pages), Systematic Approach to Tasting (SAT) card, course specification
- Access to Oslo Wine School study WSET study guides and practice Kahoot! tests
- Postage of course materials anywhere in Norway
- Exam fee
- Wine list: 20 wines that students purchase themselves. All wines available in Vinmonopolet
On completion of the course and passing the exam, successful students will receive their WSET L2 in Wine certificate and lapel
Note: All digital sessions are recorded. In the event that you are not always able to attend the live sessions, it is possible to view the recorded version. However this course requires dedication and our live sessions are interactive requiring students to embrace actively participation in our discussions and with their fellow students.
Course dates: All classes are on Tuesday evenings Course time from 18:00 – 20:30 hrs
- September: 14, 21, 28
- October: 12,19, 26
- November: 2, 6
Exam date: Monday 6th December in Oslo (time and place to be confirmed) Alternatively, students can also take the exam digitally if they prefer. Please contact us directly for more information.
The WSET Level 2 in Wine exam consists of 50 multiple-choice questions and last 1 hour.
In addition to the live classroom tutorial sessions on Zoom, students are expected to dedicated approx. 15 hours of self-study. All required knowledge can be found in the accompanying Level 2 in Wine course book “Understanding wines: explaining style and quality”. Students will also be guided in their studies through a dedicated forum on Teams, homework assignments and tests developed on Kahoot!, and students are actively encourage to develop their own study group within the classroom.
*Wine List for tasting samples: Oslo Wine School has carefully selected 20 recommended wines which we will taste together during the course. These wines represent a wide range of wine styles and are available for you to order and purchase through Vinmonopolet. This allows to you to practice your tasting skills during the course and re-taste each wine by yourself after the class. It also gives you the opportunity explore wine styles that you are less accustomed to. Total approx. value of wines 4500 Kr. Information about the wines will be sent to you upon registration. Potential students may wish to enrol together in order to reduce the costs of the wines and share samples.
Booking Deadline: rolling uptake until 10 September 2021 or until course is full. Book early to avoid disappointment
Entry Requirements: Unless you already have a good level of wine knowledge, Oslo Wine School recommends students take WSET Level 1 in Wines before attempting this course. Students on this course must be over 18 years old to participate in any of the tastings. If you have any question please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Reading materials & recommended study time required:
WSET Level 2 in Wines contains a course book, workbook and tasting guide. In addition to the live tutorials, a minimum of 11 hours self-study is required.
About the WSET Level 2 in Wines Examination:
After the course days, you will have a 50 question multiple-choice exam (60 mins), at this level there is no tasting exam. A minimum of 55% is required to pass the exam. On successful completion, you will receive your WSET Level 2 Award in Wine certificate and a lapel pin which will send you on your onward journey ready to join a WSET Level 3 Award in Wine course.
More course information:
Course location: (digital classroom)
Course Tutor: Jane Nisbet Huseby
Language: Both the course and examination will be in English as WSET does not offer any wine courses in Norwegian. Further explanations however, can be given in Norwegian if and when required.
Included in course: approx. 20 hours of WSET accredited tuition, examination fees, WSET Level 2 Award in Wines course materials, wine list of 20 recommended wines that should be tasted during the course.
Any questions? send us an email
om Jane Nisbet Huseby
Jane Nisbet Huseby er eier og daglig leder av Oslo Wine School. Jane har jobbet internasjonalt i mange år og har mer enn 15 års erfaring innen vinbransjen. I tillegg har hun jobbet som vindommer i blant annet “The International Wine Challenge” som er den mest rigorøse vinkonkurransen i verden – basert i London, og “The Berlin Trophy” basert i Tyskland. Hun har Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Diploma, og er verifisert WSET-lærer. For tiden studerer hun målrettet for å oppnå den prestisjetunge tittelen “Master of Wine” som er den mest vanskelige og krevende vintittelen å oppnå i verden. Hittil har hun bestått teoridelen ved første forsøk, mens blindsmakings eksamenene med 36 viner over 3 dager ble utsatt til 2021 på grunn av Covid19. I verden er det i dag kun 394 Masters of Wine i 30 land.